Friday, November 23, 2012

The Best Season Ever

http://www.ihatejjr.com/content/best-season-ever



The Best Season Ever

By Anonymous - Posted on 30 September 2012
photo(1).jpg

Recently I watched a special on the top 10 MLB seasons ever.  Right when I saw the title of the show, the first thing that popped into my head were 2000 Pedro and 2001 and 2002 Bonds.  They ended up being in the top four according to the MLB network. 
The more I think about that Bonds season( and his 1993 and 2002 season for that matter), the more I realize how dominant it really was.  The numbers speak for themselves, but having watched that whole season live, it was even more dominant then the numbers make you think.  Bonds had the following stat line:
73 HR, 137 RBI, 129 R, .328 AVG, 411 TB, .515 OBA, .863 SLG, 177 BB, 13 SB


That is one home rund every 605 ab's.  Not only is that amzaing, and I mean truly amazing if you think about it, but the fact that he normally only saw 1, maybe 2 pitches to hit each game, means taht almost every time a pitch was thrown near the strike zone, he got a hit.  I remember staying up late to watch the Giants play just so I could see him bat.  I knew that when he came up, he would either get walked( 177 times in 162 games) or he would be swinging for history.  The .863 slugging % is the highest in MLB history and to make it more impressive, he did it mainly at PNC Park which is known as a Pitchers park.  Obviously the 73 Home Runs are a record, but so are the 68 IBB.
For anyone that did not watch Bonds play that season, you missed history.  Yes, Ruth, T. Williams, Dimaggio, and others have put up great offensive seasons, but I stand by my opinion that this was the most dominant of all seasons, and apparently MLB Network agrees with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment